Many of you who know my son Christian are well aware of his Thomas the Tank Engine obsession. I myself am a little embarrassed by it. What I mean is that it is strange, and a little creepy, the way he has become attached. For example, he spouts of Thomas trivia to total strangers, and he associates all his colors with the appropriate trains ("Mom I want a Thomas pop sickle" when referencing a blue Otter Pop). The other day he said, "Mom your hair is Diesel". The black train. He knows ALL their names and can identify them easily. He can't even remember the kids in his nursery class' names?
I have asked my Mom on many occasions, she being the expert in the kid arena, if it is "normal". She reassures me that all kids go through this stage. I was still not convinced and thought for sure he had developed some form of Thomas Autism.
Then the other day we had some kids over to play and they snuck into my private collection of Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Yes, I have every doll, the house, the furniture, the hardcover story books, and even the Strawberry Shortcake tricycle. I know the name of every doll and their to this very day. These dolls are collectibles, not play things. These kids removed their shoes and hats. They separated them from their coordinating pets. And even put them on the floor!
I then realized that Christian follows in his mother's very footsteps when it comes to obsessions and toys. May he always love his Thomas trains and care for them the way I do my Strawberry dolls.Now you tell me, What was your favorite childhood toy?






17 comments:
barbie. I used to make them clothes, cut and style their hair, even put make up on them. I loved them and my brother would find ways to destroy them. I got rid of them when i got into my tom-boy stage. I wish i would have kept some!
Oh, I loved strawberry shortcake as well. I can not believe you still have them. I also loved barbie and my little ponies.
Thank you for the sweet Thank you note, it made my day!!
I will talk to you soon and want to be your first hair appointment when you come back :)
Have a great day!!!!!
oh, i hope that wasn't my daughter! i'm sorry if it was!! i do want to see, just see, the collection next time i'm at your house!
Childhood toys?? Do the little army guys count? How about Atari games like Space Invaders, Baseball, and Frogger when others were playing Nintendo? I did collect baseball cards and use to know every single player, their position, and what team they played for. The joys of childhood...
Wow... I can't believe how big Christian has gotten! And that is so adorable about his obsession with Thomas the Tank Engine! lol
Chubbles. I loved the Chubbles dolls. You could wave your hand in front of their sensored eyes and they made a Chubble noise. I was easy to please.
I played with Barbies, and had just about everything between me and all my sisters, but my very favorite thing to do was to build forts under my stairs (in Oregon) and play "neighborhood" with all the neighbor kids. We lived in a cul-de-sac and every mailbox represented a different store, and trees represented homes. I remember our mailbox was always McDonalds.
Pretty much I wanted to be outside, and if I wasn't I would disappear into a book. LOVED the Babysitter's Club!! Wanted to be Jessica.
I loved Trolls . .. weird I know and Popples!! Remember you could fold them into a ball! My little pony and pound puppies were wonderful too. Thanks for reminding me. So fun !
GI Joe's and Transformers. I don't know if GI Joe's are what Jeff is refering to but maybe he is talking about those little army guys that we use to blow up with fire crackers. Those were pretty cool too...
The greatest thing about this post is that before I got to the Strawberry Shortcake part, I was already planning my defense for your son. I was going to out you with your S.S. obsession, but alas, you beat me to it!!
I remember very well the Shortcake phenomenon at the Robinsons' and I LOVED it! Funny thing is, I don't remember playing with them, really. They were definitely more of a "hands off" thing.
Imagine the money you could get on eBay for your S.S. collection. I mean, if push came to shove.
I always preferred Nate's toys over my own. So when he got the Castle of Grayskull for He-Man, I loved putting my Barbies down the trap door. I wasn't much into dolls. I was really into my roller skates and bike.
Strawberry shortcake will always remind me of Katrina - I was always secretly jealous you had so many! My mom would only buy me the knock of brand stuff :)
Cabbage Patch kids. I loved and still have all my babies. Just this past weekend Sione's girls were throwing my little Eddie down the stairs and I almost started to cry. I grabbed him and told them if they weren't soft with Auntie Dots babies they'd get slapped. Sister was so cute she started kissing him and petting his head. I still have all my pound puppies. Woo Woo shout out to Pumpkin and Midnight. I also still have a rollerblade box full of paperdolls. I need to get a life!
oh that was a GREAT blog! Is it bad if i still play with toys?! :) i totally forgot about trolls until jen brought it up! ha! i loved those! and kids at school always played with pogs and collected them. i loved playing with my brothers wrestler dudes and my stuffed dog that was pregnant and had like 5 puppies! i loved that thing!
Thanks for the fly by. The blog is new and improved! All new pic's including a pic of Dot in a swimsuit at Lagoon
Big UP
SIone
This too shall pass. (we've been there!!!!)
I remember playing strawberry shortcake with you. Oh I loved them! I had the strawberry shaped carrying case that broke open as I was carrying it home from someones house! Oh the memories
Post a Comment